Dangers of DIY

February 27, 2017 • Lifestyle

The busy and stressful lives that increasing amounts of us are leading mean that our homes are becoming our havens. A place to relax after a long day at work and forget about the outside world. They are also a place where we can express ourselves. From our choice of wallpaper to the vase on the mantelpiece the majority of us have creative control over the decor and furnishings.

It’s no surprise then that so many of us undertake DIY projects throughout the year. According to a survey undertaken by Slater Gordon the average person spent £210 on DIY each in 2015. We may love doing a project that improves our home but do we ever think about the dangers that come with it? Apparently not considering 48% of people are unconcerned about the risks to their health that DIY can pose.

There is, however, so much to think about when making home improvements. Some of the common dangers to be aware of are:

Asbestos

A fibrous substance that was used in many housebuilding materials up until the 1980’s (and it was still legal to use right up until 1999!) Exposure to asbestos can lead to lung cancer and mesothelioma so if you think you’re home may be at risk of containing asbestos make sure you get thorough checks carried out before you begin any work.

MDF

Don’t start to panic if your flat pack furniture has traces of MDF, the majority of homes will have the material somewhere. In extreme cases however the resin it’s made with can cause respiratory conditions if breathed in. If you’re planning to upcycle some old furniture then make sure you wear a protective mask.

Lead Piping

Lead can actually cause a range of behavioural issues and even slight brain damage leading to low IQ. Homes built up to the 1970’s are often encased with led piping so be aware before you start drilling into walls without checking first.

Mould

The age old bane of our lives; most of us will find a bit of mould sneaking into our homes at some point. If it’s a small, easily dealt with patch then there’s no need to worry but a large, untreated amount of mould can lead to a range of respiratory issues.

Are you DIY aware? If you’re planning on undertaking some DIY soon then don’t forget to put your safety first!

 

Comments are closed.